Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Failed adrenal glands, broken legs, hip surgery, oh my

I know, the title of this post sucks. I couldn't think of anything good or witty. Whatever.
The Friday before this last, Karl was admitted to the hopsital because his legs were swellign and painful and weak and he couldn't walk. So he was there for 5 days, and turns out his adrenal glands have failed, and so they're no longer producing a vital hormone, which he now gets synthetically. And he came home and got stronger; never quite back to normal but at least able to walk again.
This last Friday he developed a fever, so we went to the ER and found that he has pneumonia again. SO He got a loading dose of Levaquin and was sent home. Well, he was given the option to stay or go home with oral antibiotics and who chooses the hospital over home? Not us!
2:15am Tuesday morning, we went back to the hospital because his legs, though no longer swollen, had suddenly started hurting bad enough again that he couldn't walk. The fracture in his femur broke through and now he'll have surgery tomorrow; we're not sure yet whether he'll be getting a full hip replacement or just screws or a rod or what. The surgeon hasn't gotten back to us yet with his opinion. But I am terrified! He only has one functioning lung, and that one isn't even at full capacity. There is a huge risk of a bad reaction to the anesthetic because of it. And the recovery time is 4-6 weeks, so that means another month at minimum without chemo, and he's already gone since January 10th without it. And his cancer was already becoming more aggressive and spreading more.
I had a complete meltdown earlier, but the kids are home now so I have to hold it together. Tomorrow, my bff and sister-in-law, Suzy (back story: we met in 5th grade, I met Karl at Chris's wedding (Chris is their other brother) 8 years ago, and the rest is history <3)
What was I saying? So, Suzy is coming up to sit with me tomorrow. And she's bringing Nikki! I'm going to bite that baby's cheeks. Nom nom noms.

No comments:

Post a Comment